History

The current location of Camp Wakpominee has been on Sly Pond since 1931. Prior to that, the camp moved from location to location in the Lake George area.

The first camp was held on Big Burnt Island in Lake George in 1920. That island is currently part of the state Department of Environmental Conservation Lake George Islands Campground.

In 1921, 1922 and 1923, Camp Wakpominee was held on Log Bay Island in Lake George.

The camp moved to Daggett Pond in 1924 and then to a farm owned by Jerome Chadwick Farm in the town of Warren from 1925 to 1929. The camp moved once more, to Stewart Lake in Lake Luzerne.

Camp Wakpominee arrived at its present location in 1931. What was then known as the Mohican Council purchased the property on Sly Pond.

Troop 4 built a nature lodge at the camp in 1931, which was the first improvement for the facility.

The camp grew in 1953 when a massive wind storm felled trees in the area and the Scouts acquired additional property. Timber that came from donations was used to build additional facilities, and in 1954 the camp dining hall was built.

In 1965 and 1966, the camp administration building, trading post, handicraft lodge and additional campsites and tent platforms were built. In 1971, amusement park owner Charles Wood donated money used to construct a campsite.

Exit mobile version