Welcome to the website for the 58th Mohawk Klondike derby, held this year at Camp Wakpominee on January 21-23, 2022. This website contains general information about the event as well as specific information for Patrol Leaders, Scoutmasters and Venture crew leaders.
We regard the Mohawk Klondike derby as the premier event in the Northeast, focusing on outdoor winter survival skills in a patrol/crew setting. Events include orienteering, survival shelter building, wilderness first aid, fire building, ice rescue as well as an old fashioned sledge race. Patrols/crews that prepare for and compete in this event will be well prepared for any winter event that may come their way.
We encourage patrols/crews to download the materials that describe the individual events as well as tips for general preparedness, study them and then actually practice the events outside. It is only in practice that these skills can be mastered.
The 47 files on this website should provide all you need to know to prepare for the Klondike Derby. Assuming you’re familiar with the Klondike Derby Deep Freeze, the following is a summary of key points and changes from last year:
- Registration costs increased to: $10 per person (scout or adult, on line or on site, it doesn’t matter. Just $10 per person).
- Parking went well, so we’re doing the same as last time.
- Registration is still in Gelder Hall (big dining hall).
A Couple of Lessons Learned
- Cotton-based CARHART clothing will not pass Clothing Check. 100% synthetic CARHARTS will pass Clothing Check.
- Scouts need to eat hot liquid and pasta for lunch. Cup of Noodles meets those objectives but Cup of Soup doesn’t have enough pasta, and must therefore be supplemented with some kind of pasta to obtain full lunch points.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Brian Campbell at (518) 265-0061 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basics, Schedules and Maps
Key Patrol Leader Information
Key Scoutmaster Information
General Information and Articles of Interest