BE THE CHANGE...
BE IT. DO IT. CHANGE IT.
Membership and Recruitment Tool Box
Let’s move Scouting forward. The Marketing and Membership Hub is a resource to help you serve more youth in your area. From recruiting ideas to social media best practices, the Hub provides a one-stop resource to discover, activate, and improve your marketing and recruiting strategy.
Our main objective is to give multiple joining opportunities to ensure that every youth is invited to join Scouting, and to fulfill our promise to new Scouts for a great Scouting program. Adventure is Calling – Join Scouting!
Cub Scouting is fun for the whole family. In Scouting, boys and girls start with their best right now selves and grow into their very best future selves. It’s fun, hands-on learning and achievement that puts kids in the middle of the action and prepares them for today – and for life.
It Is Fun
No matter what grade your child is in it’s a blast! Cub Scouts is an affordable activity for all. No youth is turned away due to an inability to pay
Meet New Friends
Cub Scouting is a program that parents and children can do together while getting to know other families in your school or neighborhood. Cub Scout Packs are run by trained volunteers and parents like you.
Cub Scouts get awesome opportunities like pinewood derbies, rocket launches, camping, hiking trips, tours of police and fire stations, climbing, becoming an archer, field trips to museums, and much more!
Need Recruitment Materials? Don't wait order your units TODAY! CLICK the image below to order your Recruitment Materials or Unit Recruitment Starter Kits
The most effective recruiting occurs when volunteer leaders, and parents work together, share ideas, and leverage each other’s skills, insights, and resources. For parents, it’s an opportunity for their kids to make new friends. And for volunteer leaders, it’s a chance to watch youth learn new skills, try new things, and discover new paths. Regardless of your role, the outcome is the same: Scouting makes the most of the limited time we have to shape the lives of America’s youth.
- Did you know..Flyer
- Annual Planning Conference Resource
- Pack Leadership Needs Form
Trail Head Design – Beascout.org
University of Scouting Presentations
- How to grow Membership 2023 UOS
- School Night for Scouting Recruitment Event
- Recruitment and Succession Planning
My.Scouting Membership Tools
Family Den Information
- TRC Family Den Recorded Presentation
- TRC Pack Family Den Kick-Off- Slide Deck
- Family Den Pilot Pack MOU
Leader Recruitment / Succession
- Leader- Recruitment and Succession Planning
- Succession Planning & Volunteer Recruitment
- Selecting a Cub Scout Leader
New Family Membership Welcome Packets
- New Parent Flyer
- Welcome Email/Letter for new families
- Uniform Handbook Info
- Sample Pack Calendar (Excel format)
- Membership Costs (Spring) handout
Joining/Sign up Night Table set up
- Cub Scout Dynamic Recruitment Infographic
- Cub Scout Dynamic Recruitment Playbook
- Invitation wording
- Reasons for Not Joining
- Passive Recruitment
- The 3 E’s to Spring Recruitment
- Spring Recruitment Timeline
- Successful Recruitment Night Needs
- Recruitment Night Follow up
Cub Scout Power Point Presentation Template
- Welcome Packet for Packs- Fillable
- Welcome to Cub Scouts – One Pager Fillable
- Welcome to Cub Scouts- Spanish
Interactive Recruitment Flyers- 2 sided
Connect with Scouting
Cub Scout Recruitment Sign-Up Options
All Sign-Up Nights are designed to be fast paced for today’s busy parents.
The presentation method has been used successfully for many years. If using this method, remember that the goal is to sign up new Scouts and adult leaders. Packs are asked to avoid the use of PowerPoint presentations because they tend to include too much information, take too much time, and often cause interested families to leave without signing up because they simply can’t stay so long. Instead, new Cub Scouts and parents should be invited back to a Parent Orientation a week later, which gives the pack an opportunity to share more information about their activities and leadership.
The key to making any Sign-Up Night successful is advanced planning and preparation, including recruiting a sufficient number of enthusiastic volunteers to help. A model campsite with a tent, camp chairs, fishing poles, etc. should be to one side of the presenter, so everyone clearly sees some Scouting fun while they’re there!
All Sign-Up Nights are designed to be fast paced for today’s busy parents. The table rotation method has been used very successfully in recent years. It allows families more flexible timing and it allows the pack to have better one-on-one conversations with new families as they visit the tables. Families sign in at the first table, then they go on a self-paced journey through five stations to learn how Scouting and the pack work. Families who are familiar with Scouting, or who have limited time, may hurry past some tables, and go directly to checkout. A model campsite with a tent, camp chairs, fishing poles, etc. should be in the center of the room so everyone circles some Scouting fun while they’re there!
The key to making any Sign-Up Night successful is advanced planning and preparation, including recruiting enough enthusiastic volunteers to help.
Set up in a parking lot (possible school or central location for families) and have families drive up to sign up stations. Have Leaders and current Cub Scouts be there to help! Also have unit leaders wear a Pack Shirt or Class B to have parents feel welcome and wear name tags.
- Station 1– Welcome & QR code to fill out online registration
- Station 2– What we do: provide families with an information packet (pack calendar/leader contact, Pack information, display table, pinewood derby cars, etc.) Have as much information as possible to have ready to brag about your unit!
- Station 3– Den Leader Welcome and Q & A
- Station 4– Check out (opportunity for Pack to collect dues, pack t-shirt, and remind family of the 1st upcoming event/activity
- Come up with creative themes and FUN activities!
New Den Leader Video Resources
We have learned that virtual resources may be used to complete requirements such as virtual tours in place of den outings. The standard of Cub Scout advancement is for the Cub Scout to do their best.
Troop Recruitment Resources
A steady flow of youth into a troop is essential to maintaining the troop’s health. New Scouts bring energy and enthusiasm to the troop program.
To avoid the pitfall of shrinking membership, a troop should add at least 10 new Scouts every year. Having a year-round growth plan in place will help attract new Scouts.
The first step for any recruitment effort is to appoint a troop committee member to serve as the troop membership chair. This person will develop and implement a year-round growth plan that incorporates all methods of recruitment, working closely with Cub Scout packs in the community, the district membership committee, and the unit commissioner.
Have you scheduled your Normal Friend Activity Yet?
AOL Scout Transition
Troop Recruitment Tools
- Troop Recruitment
- Annual Planning Resource
- Adult Recruitment Guide
- Welcome to Scouts BSA – One Pager FIllaible 2022
- Scout Interest Sign up Form
- Parent Orientation Agenda
Troop Recruitment Event Tools
- Troop How to have a Open House Video
- Host a Troop Open House
- Build an Invitation Information
- SBSA Dynamic Recruitment Infographic
- SBSA Dynamic Recruitment Playbook
- Invitation wording
- Reasons for Not Joining
- Passive Recruitment
- Adulting 101- Life Skills for Teens- Full Color
- Adulting 101- Life Skills for Teens- Black and White
- Adulting 101- Life Skills for Teens- Color
Merit Badge Recruitment Flyers
Troop Recruitment Flyers
- Be the Change – Girls
- Be the Change – Boys
- Be the Change
- Be the Change – Generic
- Adventure on Scouts BSA Girls
- Adventure on Scouts BSA
Troop Promotional Video
Unit Marketing Resources
To ensure families get the message that it’s time to sign up, use various methods of communication and be sure to have a plan. You should start to build the buzz at least six weeks out from your sign-up event(s). The council and district will help get the word out, but most of your success will come from unit marketing.
How much access you must promote Scouting in your schools will help you decide the best ways to market your sign-up event. Here are some suggestions – but these are just thought-starters. Don’t limit yourself. The more ways you reach parents, the more success you’ll have.
*NEW* This Campaign Kit for Recruitment Marketing Is Your Go-To Source for the Fall Recruiting Season
With the fall recruiting season nearly upon us, this great campaign kit gives you a step-by-step guide to marketing Scouting in your local community. Developed by the National Marketing Support Committee, and providing links to marketing resources created by the Boy Scouts of America National Marketing Team, the easy-to-use guide provides strategies and simple, effective tactics proven to grow Scouting. Be sure to use and share this guide with anyone – beginner or expert – who is charged with marketing Scouting in your community. Recruiting Campaign Kit_2022-1
Here are several ideas for promoting the event outside of the schools. These tactics can be done either in tandem with your in-school promotions or on their own if you are not able to get full access to the schools.
- Ask current members to use social media to let their friends and family know about sign-up event nights
- Personalized invitations, emails, and personal phone calls to prospective parents
- Door hangers and door-to-door invitations
- Recruit-a-friend and other peer-to-peer recruiting initiatives
- Fliers and youth/Scout talks at after-school programs or churches in the community
- Church and community websites, calendars, and bulletins
- Press releases
- Billboards, posters, and yard signs in the community (businesses, churches, etc.)
- Community fairs, parades, and other events
- Peer-to-Peer cards (business cards). Ask Scouts to hand these to friends. Ask parents to pass them out with Halloween candy.
- Plan a second event to invite prospective Cub Scouts (e.g., pack meeting invite)-use the second chance fly
An out of the box idea for Recruitment!!
Get Families attention by having recruitment rocks!!
- Use a waterproof modge podge to glue the Cub Scout logo to the Rocks
- Put a QR code with a scout talk video or a link to your units Facebook page or website
- Put them in a local park or Hiking trail
- See examples below!
Your district or unit can leverage social technologies to improve recruiting. Social technologies are changing the way we collaborate and communicate with each other. Many traditional forms of marketing and advertising have been replaced by online word-of-mouth as consumers share their experiences online. In fact, according to Forrester, a premier technology research company, 75 percent of people in the U.S. use social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.). That means for many families, the decision to join Scouting is going to start with online engagement.
• Adventure is waiting.
• Cub Scouts – Start Your Adventure
• Build Your Adventure!
• Adventure is Waiting. Join Cub Scouts.
• Find Cub Scout Adventures Near You
• Cub Scouting is Learning Through Adventure
• Find Cub Scout Adventures
• Rocket into Scouting!
• Rocket into Scouting. Join Cub Scouts Today!
• Find Cub Scouts Near You
• Your Child will Thank You!
• Build confidence with Cub Scouts.
• Scouting families are supportive families. •
Direction for Your Child. Peace of Mind for You
• Leadership, Character, Confidence.
• Learn More About Cub Scouts
• Interested in Cub Scouts?
• Considering Cub Scouts?
• Enjoy the great outdoors with the Cub Scouts.
- When Youth Learn Through Adventure, They Learn For Life. Help Your Child Build Strength & Character Through Cub Scout Adventures. Learn More Today!
- Cub Scout Adventures Build Memories For the Whole Family. Click to Find New Adventures near you.
- In the outdoors, your family has opportunities to acquire skills and have fun together. You can have new experiences and complete challenges that you may have first thought were beyond your ability. We want to help you start that journey today. Join us now by signing up at http://www.beascout.org.
- Your time is valuable. More than ever, today’s families strive to find quality time to spend together. Cub Scouting helps to support your family by providing ready-made opportunities for you and your family to do things together. Join us now by signing up at http://www.beascout.org.
- In Scouting, boys and girls start with their best right now selves and grow into their very best future selves. It’s fun, hands-on learning and achievement that puts kids in the middle of the action and prepares them for today – and for life. It’s not too late to join; sign up now at http://www.beascout.org.
- Benefits of Cub Scouts; 1. Outdoor Activities 2. Try New Things 3. Important Skills 4. How to Set and Achieve Goals 5. Character Development It’s not too late to join; sign up at http://www.beascout.org.
- Scouts BSA/Venturing/Sea Scouting is a year-round program for boys and girls that provides fun, adventure, learning, and challenge, while helping them become the best version of themselves. Join now at http://www.beascout.org.
- Scouting offers outstanding local and regional camps, including incredible high adventure bases in the mountains of New Mexico, lakes of Minnesota/Canada, hills of West Virginia, and waters of the Florida Keys. But you can’t experience any of them unless you join! Sign up for Scouts BSA/Venturing/Sea Scouts today at http://www.beascout.org.
- The Boy Scouts of America is one of America’s most proven values-based youth development organizations, providing programs for young people that build character. Join Scouts BSA/Venturing/Sea Scouts now at http://www.beascout.org.
- Whether on the trail or on the water, Scouting’s outdoor adventure is second to none. Young men and women can join Scouts BSA/Venturing/Sea Scouts today at http://www.beascout.org.
• Adventure is Waiting. Learn More!
• Build Your Adventure Today!
• Adventure Awaits. Join Today.
• Explore Cub Scout Adventures.
• Family. Fun.
• Your Next Adventure Starts Now
• Find a Local Cub Scout Program.
• Join the Cub Scout Ranks.
• Find Cub Scouts Near You.
• Click to Join Cub Scouts.
• Explore Cub Scout Programs
• Learn More About Cub Scouts.
• Explore Cub Scout Requirements
• Learn About Cub Scout Ranks
- Join Cub Scouts! We’re looking for kids in grades 1-5 who like fun, adventure, games, hikes, bow and arrows, camping, making new friends and so much more. It all awaits in Cub Scouts. Come visit us on [DATE, TIME] at [LOCATION] and find out more. Or call us at [CONTACT INFO HERE]. It’s time to Get Out and Cub Scout.
- Think Cub Scouts is just fun and games, hikes, bow and arrows, BB guns, camping, fishing and making life-long friends? You’re right! But it’s so much more. We’re building tomorrow’s leaders today by teaching responsibility, achievement, and team work. Join us on [DATE, TIME, LOCATION] or contact us at [CONTACT INFO HERE] to learn how your child can get involved. It’s time to GET OUT AND CUB SCOUT.
Membership and Marketing Webinars
Put your Unit on the MAP!
Updating your BeAScout Pin
Make sure your unit’s information is correct on BeAScout.org. BeAScout.org is a tool prospective family use to find units to join.
Is your unit information up to date?
When updating your Unit Pin make sure it is the most updated information on your unit. Here are some things that will help families when looking at your Unit Pin.